Words to live by: Make today your best day ever!

Make today your best day ever!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

A First Look At The Coyote Creek Trail

I had the pleasure of spending last night at the San Jose Fairmont, as a bonus of attending my annual office party at the San Jose Tech Museum. Being up early this morning, I decided to follow up a night in the South Bay with a day in the South Bay.

I'd been curious about a paved trail I'd seen for years along Coyote Creek south of San Jose, whenever I was driving driving on US 101. This afternoon I treated myself to a little discovery and a nice welcome from one of my favorite things - a long, paved trail.

The trailhead for this 14.5 long (one way) regional trail is east of Morgan Hill off Cochrane Road - take the exit off 101, go east a few miles, following the signs. The parking lot seems smallish, but there was still ample space for me to unload chair and myself. At first look, this trail appears to be a favorite of bicyclists, equestrians, walkers, runners and wheelchairs (I was one of three today).

But popularity isn't everything. The trail got points for following beautiful Coyote Creek, which was probably burbling along peacefully - but I couldn't hear it for the traffic noise from 101. No worries. There were birds - raptors, vultures, jays, woodpeckers and ducks. There were smiling faces from just about everyone, save for the earnest looking bicyclists trying hard to emulate the Tour De France and feeling that acknowledging anyone else might provide clues to some weakness; there was a radio control model aircraft park, hugely entertainiing as the very skilled pilots managed all kinds of tricks, and refraining from buzzing the people who walked past. There was gently rolling terrain, appearing as if the trail had been designed to be engaging without overtaxing the diverse communities of users.

Most of all, though, is that it provides another winter (as in "muck free") place for me to get out and stretch my wheels. One woman told me she thought it ended in Sunnyvale - that's a good, long way off. But this time of year I'm struggling to get trail time, and the Coyote Creek Trail fits the bill for shaking off winter rust and getting back into shape again.

Having arrived around 2:30 this afternoon, I did only a 6 mile round trip and barely scratched the surface. Perhaps next Sunday I'll do the entire 29 miles. Once away from the freeway the trail takes on a wilder character, much like EBRPD's Iron Horse Trail does. It'll also go through neighborhoods, which might add dining opportunities or a chance for coffee - that much is pure speculation, though, but you can bet I'll update you once I finish. Maybe I'll dare my office mates to go with me - I can think of a scarce few who wouldn't flinch at the thought of a 29 mile day hike with the crazy guy in the wheelchair...

My initial impression was quite positive, though. I look forward to the follow up visit as soon as my schedule permits. Some days I feel as if I'm taking on too much...but an afternoon on a trail like Coyote Creek offers the chance to relax, make a cooldown day of it and wander. It was a great find, an excellent alternative to football, and perfect on a 73 degree January afternoon. 4wheelbob gives a tentative "2 wheels UP!" to the Coyote Creek Trail, pending a longer and more thorough analysis. Stay tuned - but in the meantime, check it out. You just might get carried away and get in some copious midwinter mileage. Hope you have as good a time out there as I did! Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment