Words to live by: Make today your best day ever!

Make today your best day ever!

Thursday, March 3, 2011

True Confessions

This is going to be short, as I am not proud when I make a commitment to do something that I NEED desperately to do, then get sidetracked and hogtied.

This was to be the Week of the Return to the Gym...an epic in 5 parts. I alluded to it in my last post. I felt great every night this week, ready to get back to the extreme workout regimen.

Except - it didn't happen. Instead, events conspired to get me home later than anticipated; illness in the home kept me watchful and available; and now I feel redemption is necessary. Redemption may come in the form of trying to put in several miles during my lunchtime, even on the ugly streets of Silicon Valley. It may mean 30 minutes in the gym at work, if the workload abates and I can find 30 minutes. It may come as a quick "see you Monday" at Noon tomorrow, after which time I'll head to the friendly homelike confines of Sunol Regional Wilderness. To get away for an afternoon, finish a couple of projects and spend enough time in the gym to convince my fragile ego that no, I'm STILL a viable entity. That would be a gas!

There is no crueler tantalization than a gaze out the window on an Almost Spring afternoon, and realizing there is no way in hell to enjoy it. But the call I hear, the one that yearns, in my best William Wallace shout, to cty "FREEEEEDOOOOOOM..." at the top of my lungs out in the parking lot, while high tailing it to a trail.....that's the voice I hear. The working world may simply be too structured for me as I age; my job could ultimately turn out to be that of the sage, watching life in its zillion forms provide the inspirations and motivations so many seek. So let me finish with this - rather than being found keeled over at my desk by an indifferent co - worker, how much more rewarding to meet Mother Nature in Her home, on Her terms, and at Her mercy. Food for thought. Have a perfect weekend, let's meet somewhere and listen to the bluebirds...

No comments:

Post a Comment