Words to live by: Make today your best day ever!

Make today your best day ever!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Time's A Wastin'!

As usual, even my after work / resting part of the day is turning into an adventure. It's just to the left of 9 PM out here on the West Coast, it's still low 70's outside and I'm getting ready to go find some Great Horned Owls just north of town.

As I'm writing, a barn owl just flew over the house, causing a great disturbance in the Dawg Force - all three of them are sitting in back looking at the dark sky, wondering if some kind of angel is about to descend on them.....kinda cute, really. But the warm air tells me there will be a wide eyed flying circus this evening, and I want to check it out.

Another spring - summer favorite I haven't noticed yet should show itself soon - bats. The Giants could only hope to have bats as active as our neighborhood's. A few years back a small, innocent critter flew into the house and caused us no end of goofy looking drama as we tried to usher it back outside. It was probably not a fun evening for the flying mouse, though. By the time we managed to gently direct it toward an open window it had tired. Once outside the poor thing rested for a few minutes then flew off to take its frustration out on small, six legged flying things. Bats are good to have as neighbors.

Ah! Just now, a killdeer is going off about something a backyard or two away. Of course, they go off about damn near anything, so it's not a shock but it is amusing. Meanwhile, barnies are still chatting while cruising the neighborhood.

So I have a fascination with the natural, and a general distrust of too much electronic doodadism. That's the old fart in me, trying to find comfort as an analog guy in a digital world. That's why birds, lizards, ground squirrels, wolf spiders....all those beasts and critters that just don't want to leave their niche in the evolutionary chain....appeal to me so much.

Maybe there's a bit too much of that around my home. It's hard to interest a teenager in Mother Nature's magnificence, even harder to convince them to just sit, listen and marvel. Hopefully, age will mellow them and they, too will catch on. As one feels the urgency of life pulling in an unkind direction, there's little comfort in a world without all the flying, crawling, slithering, swimming beings with which we share it. I may, in fact, be just a bit more comfortable in their world sometimes. It's really a great place to be. Join me there!

As for me - I'm off for some owling. Have a wonderful evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment